Thursday, March 5, 2015

5th Grade Native American Dream Catchers

5th grade artists are learning about Native American life and culture in their classrooms. We added to this by learning about their art as well. Below are two links to slide shows that we used.

Download Native American Overview Slide Show Here

Download Native American Dream Catchers Slide Show Here

We learned about why Native Americans use Dream Catchers - to catch the good dreams and let the bad dreams evaporate with the morning dew. We created our own dreamcatchers out of paper plates, yarn, beads and feathers.

Learning Goals:
Students will be able to discuss why Native Americans used Dream Catchers
Students will use Native American pictographs and traditional designs to decorate the rim of their dream catcher
Students will create their own dream catcher and weave string for the inside of the design







5 comments:

  1. I love your art directions on the board! Do you have enough space to have that displayed for every grade level? Or do you change it in between classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy! I do my first three classes on my whiteboard, then at lunch, switch to my second three classes. Yes, when one class is in, I might be covering up the other classes' directions with other visuals hung with magnets, but we only have 5 min. between classes so I can't re-write between. Having the step by step directions on the board is such a critical part to my teaching and to reaching children of all learning styles.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you explain how you have your students do the radial design/yarn part? As well as the yarn/beads/feathers at the bottom? Thank you! I think I'm going to do this with my 5th graders :)

    ReplyDelete